Before beginning this process you will need to have the following:
Mobile phoneMust be able to receive calls and/or SMS text message
Authenticator appsWe do not have a preferred authenticator app, but here is a short list of available apps:
- Microsoft Authenticator. For instructions click here
- Google Authenticator. For instructions click here
- Duo Mobile. For instructions click here
- Authy (also available for desktop). For instructions click here
Log into the Multi-Factor Authorization page
Go to https://aka.ms/MFASetup
If you are not logged in to Office 365 you will be asked to login.
If you are already logged in to Office 365 you will see this screen. Click Next
Setup text to authentication phone
- Select Authentication Phone
- Select your country and enter your mobile number
- In Method choose Send me a code by text message
Enter the verification code
When the code is verified you will see 'Verification successful!'
Additional Security Verification
At this screen you will see a Verification successful message.
On the next screen you may be prompted to stay signed in. Click No
Set up authenticator app
Click Set up authenticator app
Configure mobile app
Note: next to the QR code is an option to 'Configure app without notifications.' Not clicking this will set the app to send you a notification to allow authentication. Clicking it will set the app to prompt you to enter a code to authenticate.
Using QR code
- Open the authenticator app
- Add an account and choose work or school for your company Microsoft 365 account. For all others select Other
- Scan the QR image
- Click Next
Without QR code
If you are unable to scan the image, follow the instructions on your app to enter the information manually
What's your preferred option?
Back in the Additional security verification page, you will see 'what's your preferred option?' section near the top with a dropdown. Click the dropdown to select the authentication methond you would like set as default.
You have completed the setup!
At this point you have finished the setup.
What happens when you login?
You will either see one more screen asking for the code, or receive a notification on your phone to authenticate the login.
Enter the code they send you and click Verify.