Log into SharePoint Online
You can access SharePoint Online in two ways:
- Browse to office.com and login with your organization credentials. If you are prompted to choose between the type of account, choose Work or School account. Once logged in, you can click on the SharePoint icon in the left navigation
- Use a link to directly access the site. This link can be found in a Microsoft notification email that you have been granted access to a SharePoint site or to a folder within it, or provided to you by a site owner or user.
Syncing SharePoint to your computer can take up a lot of your hard drive space.
- Newer versions of OneDrive allow you to set files to enable Files On-Demand (Save space and download files as you use them. Click here for more info). To do this:
- Right-click the OneDrive icon in your system tray (bottom right side of your screen). You will want to hover over the icon beforehand to make sure you are selecting the correct OneDrive sync if you have multiple syncs configured
- Click Settings
- Click the Settings tab. At the bottom is the Files On-Demand option. Click the checkbox to enable
- Click Ok
- For older versions where this option is not available, you will need to de-select folders in one of the steps when syncing folders from SharePoint online.
- If neither of these options is available, stop and contact us for assistance to prevent accidentally filling up your hard drive
Select the folder you want synced to your computer
You can navigate to child folders for syncing. This is useful if you do not need access to all folders within the site, and to reduce the number of clicks to get to the data.
Click Sync in the toolbar
If there are multiple child folders you want to sync, repeat step 3 and 4 for each folder
If the sync is successful you will see a SharePoint icon on the left navigation tree and beneath it the folders you have synced
How to Remove Sync from SharePoint Online
Right-click the OneDrive icon in your computer's system tray
Then click Settings
Click the Account tab
if it is not already in focus
To stop sync of an individual folder/location, Click Stop sync next to the folder you would like to stop syncing
Click Stop sync button at the confirmation popup. Note: If this is the last synced folder for that account, the account will be unlinked from the PC and to start sync again you will need to go back to step 1 of this guide
To stop sync of all content and unlink the PC, click Unlink this PC (in the account information section of the Account tab in the screenshot)
In File Explorer, right-click the folder you just removed from sync
Then click Delete.
Note: the SharePoint icon should disappear on its own, but may take a few minutes to update.